Monday, March 3, 2008

Peter Tork isn't here

For my first official outing, I thought I'd check out Ray's Monkey House (I can't tell you how often I want to spell the word monkey, M-O-N-K-E-E, thanks to a teenage obsession with the television band) in good old Louisville, KY. Ray's is a kid friendly place in which to get your cuppa with two play areas complete with books and toys, five cozy couches, and colorful decor. Kids even get their own open mic night. But as a sign states, "Unattended children will be given two double espressos and a puppy." You have been warned. They also have movie nights and open mic nights for all, so if you don't have kids, that doesn't mean you have to stay away. Ray's roasts their own beans, are environmentally aware, and most of their food and drink is organic with the typical beverages that most other coffee houses provide.

I ordered a traditional cappuccino for about $2.20-something. It's everything a cappuccino should be. Bitter upon first taste. Smooth from then on out. I usually add sweetener after drinking about half, just to have it both ways. Mmm, Mmm, good! There was only one thing wrong with it as the barista pointed out after I had taken a few sips. He asked if he could make me a new one because it didn't have the right amount of foam. I assured him it tasted fine and he didn't have to make a new one unless he really wanted to. I rate it 4 out of 5 cups, but mainly because of the lack of foam.

Which makes me wonder if I need to be more covert in my personal reviewing. Did he ask because he was really concerned about it, or did he ask because he saw me write down the words "Ray's Monkey House"? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

One thing I didn't bring is a camera. Bad blogger! Will make a point to do so next time. I'm deffo coming back with my laptop for a regular coffee. And a raspberry scone. I didn't partake in one this time, but I will be back. Oh, yes. I will be back.

No comments: